What We Do
GIST Cancer UK is a charitable trust which acquired its charitable status in April 2009. Before that time it was a subgroup of Sarcoma UK, and the two organisations continue to maintain a close relationship.
- We operate a phone help line 0300 400 0000 for GIST patients and their carers.
- We run meetings where GIST patients and their carers can support each other, share experiences, and hear about the latest developments in the treatment of GIST from leading professionals.
- We try to keep abreast of developments in the treatment of GIST by maintaining contact with:
- pharmaceutical companies.
- specialist doctors and research groups.
- patient support groups all over the World.
- We operate a private online patient & carer discussion/question and answer group (LISTSERV) where members can email the group to ask questions, exchange information and generally discuss their problems. This is a private and confidential mailing list system which is only available to GIST patients and their carers.
For further information on how to join: please either telephone us on 0300 400 0000 or email us at email@example.com giving us some details about yourself. The LISTSERV system is hosted for us by: LSOFT.
- Facebook & Twitter communities.
- Produce booklets and information for patients/carers covering a range of useful GIST topics.
- Raise awareness about GIST.
- Represent GIST patient interests:
- at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) appraisals of new treatments in the UK.
- at National and International meetings.
- Work to support an infrastructure that supports research and improves patient care.
- Lobby for the rights of rare GIST cancer patients.
- Work with the pharmaceutical industry to support research and good patient information about their drugs.
How To Meet Other GIST Patients
Attend one of our meetings, currently held three times a year, in Spring, Autumn and Winter.
To receive further details or to find out about our forthcoming meetings please see our Events page.
ListServ Email Forum
Join our safe, secure ListServ system (see above) to exchange information and meet others in similar situations to you.
Why not wear one of these little badges when you visit Out-patients, to show that you are a GIST patient? Maybe you will find another GIST patient to talk to.
Simply email us and we will send you a badge. A small donation will cover the cost and also help GIST Cancer UK.
How You Can Help Us
We want as many GIST patients as possible to know about us. If you are being treated in a local district hospital, why not ask them to put up a poster? Click here to download an A4-size poster that you can print out.
Alternatively why not ask your hospital to display some of our publicity leaflets? Just let us know which hospital, and who the appropriate contact person is. We can then add them to our distribution list and keep them supplied. Click here to see a PDF of our publicity leaflet.
"Like" us on Facebook or "Follow" us on Twitter Keep up to date with latest news and fundraising campaigns by visiting our Facebook page or following us on Twitter. Invite your friends and family to do so as well and help us to raise awareness of GIST Cancer UK.
Help Us Raise Funds
Have a look at our Fund Raising page for ways to support us financially.